myspace generator

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ARE YOU READY?

Well a big howdy ho little pard’ners LOL! How are you doing this crisp midweek morning? I am alright I suppose. Ya want to hear something stupid? Remember I told you the kids had to go just 3 days this week since they gave them Monday off? Well the ever-so-brilliant school board decides that they are going to get out early each day… SO, I had the DS18 who only had 1 class he HAD to go to this morning, so he will be home about 8:30-9am, the DD who is exempt from all her exams, so she didn’t have to go at all, and the DS14 who had all day to go but is doing nothing but coloring and watching TV in class all day! THEN they all get out at 11:30am tomorrow… and again the DD doesn’t even NEED to go! Stupid wouldn’t you say?? Sounds like the teachers have summer fever more than the kids if you ask me!

OK, so I hope that you found the post informative yesterday. Since it was a serious day yesterday, today is all about fun! I have already fed and watered the kitties, and watered the gardens, and now its time to sit with my friends and chat awhile! I’ve got some great recipes for you today, especially if you like Olive Garden! After I got home yesterday, I dropped off the kids and did some mad-dash shopping LOL! Today is going to be slow and steady LOL cause there’s not much more I need… the bulk items really. I even started buying some of the food for Madison’s party!

Well kids, it looks to be an interesting summer this year. I printed off a list of 50 ideas for activities for the family to do (each person got a copy) and they had to pick around 10 things that were interesting to them to do. They don’t listen real well honestly LOL cause the DH picked like 17, DD picked 14, DS18 picked 7, and DS14 really doesn’t care, so I picked some things for him. So far, it looks like a road trip to the Prison Museum, the Dr. Pepper and Mrs. Baird factories, the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship, the Zoo, and a few other exciting adventures! Hope you are ready to have these adventures with us LOL! I should have lots of great picture ops too! So are you ready?



One thing DS14 gets that I told everyone he will get is a movie day on June 18th. The new Toy Story 3 movie comes out and since he is a Toy Story fanatic, he gets to go LOL… popcorn and all! I also am taking a set of old tattered Toy Story bed sheets and making him a new duffle bag for this summer travel and hurricane. I am filling it with the normal stuff, but also with some Toy Story stuff I found at the Dollar Tree… crayons, coloring and word search books, stamps, frisbees, etc. It will be rough hiding this stuff from him LOL, but I am gonna do my best!



So did you see it? OMG did you watch it? Its Back!! My Hell’s Kitchen!! YAY! Thank god for DVR! I got home last night and I watched it and OMG it was soooooooooooo good! And my new Next Food Network Star season premier is on Sunday YAY! I love my cooking reality shows. Last night GR kicked like 7 of the aspiring chefs out of the kitchen on the opening night! They had me on the edge of my seat the whole time! You can bet I have the DVR set to record every single episode LOL!

Ok, the craft idea I bring you today is the neatest thing. I might even have my kids make a few this summer as an “its-too-hot-outside-to-do-anything” busy craft LOL! It combines art with recycling and that is super spiffy! If you don’t have a pampered chef tool to cut the lids, just use your regular can opener and then file/sand down the edges to where they are smooth and won’t cut you.



Craft Idea of the Day: Can Lid Chimes

Another use for those smooth can lids from the Pampered Chef Can Opener or from frozen juice concentrate. You can paint on a design of your own or use stamps. Just make sure the stamps are small enough to fit in the center of the lid where there are no ridges.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes - 1 hour

Supplies:

smooth can lids
paint primer
acrylic paints: white, bright pink, warm yellow
twine
wooden beads and spools
stamps, optional
stick or bamboo garden stake
hot or tacky glue

Instructions:

With large nail and hammer, make a hole in the top of each can lid. Prime 3-5 lids and dry. Paint desired background color. Draw on a design and paint or use desired stamp (We used a simple star). Seal with varnish. Cut several lengths of twine, about 18 inches each. Tie twine to bamboo. Add a touch of glue to hold in place. String on some beads and spools, knotting afterward. Tie on can lids at different points on each string. Finish with more beads and knots. Attach another piece of twine to edges of bamboo for hanging. Secure with glue. Add large bead to each end of bamboo and secure with glue. This would be a cheap craft for kids. Stamps may be best for them. Prepare lids with holes and primer ahead of time so the kids can go right to it!

By CinDy from Waynesburg, PA

I just thought that was simply the coolest thing for kids to do! Oh speaking of crafts, I have decided that I am going to do another lottery ticket bag and place it for sale here. I had tons of people interested in the bag, that I am going to be making another one and once I have enough tickets and such and its done, you will see it here. So keep watching for that!

Alright, its time to eat! YUMMY! Chicken and Pie… I bet I have gained weight just writing this blog LOL! I love chicken and lemons so much… you can do all kinds of neat things with them! Today I am bringing you sort of a copycat from Olive Garden restaurant and a simply heavenly pie! Now let me go wipe my mouth from the excessive drooling while you take a peek at these delightful delectables!



Chicken Scampi

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of white wine
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
4 boneless chicken breast halves, sliced lengthwise into thirds

Directions

In a skillet heat the butter or margarine and oil over medium high until the butter/margarine melts. Add the parsley, basil, oregano and garlic and salt and mix together in the skillet. Stir in lemon juice and wine.

Then add the chicken, peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes or until chicken is white. Lower the heat and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. More butter/margarine can be added if needed. Serve over angel hair pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese.



Angel Pie

Ingredients

4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/8 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F ( 120 degrees C).

Beat egg whites until stiff. Add cream of tartar and gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until glossy. Turn the meringue into a well-greased 10 inch pie plate. Spread over bottom and sides of plate, building up the sides 1/2 inch above the edge of the plate. Place in oven, and bake 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven, and leave meringue inside to cool slowly.

Combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons zest, and lemon juice in double boiler. Cook and stir over medium low heat until thick. Cool thoroughly.

Whip cold cream until stiff. Place half of the whipped cream in the meringue shell. Cover with a layer of the lemon filling and top with the remainder of the whipped cream. This top layer can be put on with a decorative tube. Garnish with remaining lemon zest. Refrigerate.

Alrighty everyone, I am gonna call it quits this morning so I can get my day started. I hope you have enjoyed today’s entry and will join me tomorrow for more exciting news in the Frugal Mom’s journeys. Until tomorrow… HUGS!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning everyone.
    Renee, sounds like you, DH, and kids will be very busy this summer. Have fun with all those great sounding adventures.
    Your blog about hurricane season sparked some fire under my rear and so today is make a list day of all the things I need to get back together for my hurricane boxes. Thanks. Wasn't really looking forward to that but the blog yesterday brought it to my attention for the need to get it done.
    I dont like Hells Kitchen. That man is the rudest man on t.v. except for Simon on Idol. I prefer to watch The Amazing Race and see new places around the world and to me the show is a study on human behavior in strange places and how they handle themselves. OK, I confess. I'm a people watcher. They fascinate me and its kind of funny to see how people act out in public places.
    I think I will make a roast chicken tonight with maybe a spicy glaze on it. I'm in the mood for spicy! That pie you featured is unique. I've never seen a meringue used in the BOTTOM of the pie. Hummmm.... might have to try that one just to see how it turns out!
    Let me tell ya'll something. I am moving pretty good because of my physical therapy so far but, and its a very important but, I have been using muscles I dont think I have used in a while and OUCH, IT HURTS!!! But its a good hurt because I CAN move them. On top of the therapy, I listened to my tunes and was tapping my toes and swinging my arms and wiggling my...well I'll not finish that sentence. I AM SO SORE! But I am glad because it means I can move around again. My goal is to dance again by the end of summer. So everyone wish me luck. OK. gonna go start that preparedness list. Til next time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Your post got me really motivated on how unready for a disaster I really am. So I spent the day after work hours building boxes and lists and such. Thanks for opening my eyes! I am so excited to see all the neat things your family will be doing this summer. Makes me wish I had one of my own. That Toy Story package you are making for your son is wonderful. Bet he will love it! Can't wait to see the bag you make for it. The food looks great too! I'm gonna get out of here and go do some more stuff before work. Thanks for another great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family & I are planning things we can do close to home, within budget, & that everyone will enjoy. Being in Southern, CA we get some nice choices, but lots of tourists to stand inline with also. So we will have to figure out days & times with shorter lines.
    Your son is going to love all the great Toy Story stuff & Toy Story 3. I hope all of you have a wonderful time. My family loves the Toy Story movies too. We are looking forward to seeing the new movie this month.
    My DH loves GR's Hell's Kitchen & Kitchen Nightmares. We watched the 1st episode & my DH loved it. The food looks great!
    As always Renee, I really enjoy your blog. I am catching up from the end of May. Always worth the read.

    ReplyDelete