myspace generator

Monday, July 5, 2010

GROOVY 60'S BABY

Good afternoon boys and girls! I apologize for my tardiness... will you believe the DH's computer bluescreened on me? Oh yes, I guess its not my month for messing with electronics! But I learned alot about his computer... or should I say DINOSAUR? LOL! Hey I am not gonna complain... it's still letting me online! (Knocking on wood here!) I also had a rather rough night... this ol' gray mare just ain't what she usedabe! LOL! And of course, I want to thank my parents for the great comments from my parents yesterday. Dad made me cry!

Like I said, last night was rather interesting... I had morons all around me shooting off fireworks to where my neighborhood sounded like a war zone! I was freaking out a bit and praying for more of that rain that's been hanging around LOL. Then I finally get to sleep and about 4am, Mittens starts screaming her lungs out! AND it was the first night that the boys, Gizmo and Miracle, were allowed to be out in the big room all night. For the most part, they behaved... until Mittens woke up! Then Miracle found Me-om's "tail" and decided he wanted to play! OHHHH NOOO! Those boys are getting so HUGE in just the couple of weeks they have been here... what's it been, 2 weeks? I gotta write all this stuff down (birthdays, new arrivals, etc!) LMAO!

Ok now, I saw a rather interesting article on Yahoo green that I had to share with you... check this out!

Five unusual ways to stay cool
By Chris Baskind, Mother Nature Network

In the Northern Hemisphere, there's no doubt summer is here — and with it, the perpetual quest to stay cool. For those of us interested in sustainability, the thought of huge summer cooling bills (and all the greenhouse emissions they cause) is enough to send a chill down the spine.

You've probably already heard the basics of summertime energy management: Keep your air conditioner filters clean, make sure your weather stripping is tight, draw the drapes during the heat of the day, and avoid the use of big heat-creating appliances like ovens and ranges whenever possible. If you want a quick review of hot weather energy-saving ideas, check this giant list of summer cooling tips.

But there are other ways to keep your cool through the summer. We've rounded up five for your consideration, including several tried-and-true methods from the days before central air. Give one or two a shot, and see how they work for you.

1) Go tropical
Take the lead of those who spend most of their lives in tropical climates: loose, lightweight cotton and linen clothing rules.

The guayabera, sometimes called the "Mexican wedding shirt," is constructed to cool you naturally. A relative of the traditional Filipino barong, the guayabera wicks moisture from the skin and is worn untucked to promote air circulation. Madras is another good summertime choice for both men's and women's clothing.

Don't forget the old standard of the American Deep South: seersucker. Originally an Indian import, its crisp cotton and cooling ridges make it a hot weather classic.

2) Cool that pulse point
When you were sick as a child, your mom may have brought you a cold facecloth. This idea works the same way.

Chill your pulse points by running cold water over your wrist for a minute or so each hour. Splashing water on your temples or face can produce a similar effect. And be sure to put some of that tap water into a glass and stay hydrated.

3) Don't eat: Graze
Ever notice how you feel hot after a big meal? It's not just because the food was served warm.

Big, protein-laden meals force your body to stoke its metabolic fires. The solution is to break up your eating into smaller, more frequent meals. You'll feel cooler — and it's better for you, anyway.

4) Eat to sweat
Latin America, India, Thailand — some of the world's hottest places. And they happen to serve some of the world's hottest foods.

Scientists have argued for years over why this is the case, but the most likely reason is that spicy foods make you sweat without actually raising body temperature. Chalk it up to capsaicin, a chemical found in things like hot peppers. Once your skin is damp, you'll feel cooled by its evaporation.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to also reread our article on choosing a safer deodorant.

5) Stay cool under the covers
A lot of people find it difficult to sleep in hot weather.

Want to cool the bed down? Fill a standard hot water bottle with ice water. Use it to cool your ankles and the back of your knees — it works. You can also try bagging your sheets and tossing them in the freezer for an hour or two before bed.

Cooling your head cools your entire body. Opt for a cool and absorbent pillow of organic cotton if at all possible. Put aside down and latex pillows until the weather cools down this autumn.

Now the food theme I have chose inspired the craft idea I chose. LOL its a recycling craft for another bag... utilizing an old pair of children's overalls! How retro is that? LOL... if you don't have a pair of childrens' overalls, check local thrift stores, ask friends, or even use a small adult pair for a bigger bag! Have fun!



Craft Idea of the Day: Recycled Overalls Bag

Materials:

Child's overalls
Sewing Machine
Scissors

Directions:

For this project you will need a pair of old children's overalls from a thrift store. The larger the overalls the bigger you bag will be.

If your overalls has any pockets on the front it will make a great little mobile pocket on the outside of your bag.

Start by cutting the leg's off, making sure to cut above the crotch or you will end up with a tuft.

Turn the bag inside out and using an overlocker or a sewing machine sew across the bottom to close it up. Make sure you do 2 zig zag stitches on a sewing machine to strengthen it.

Trim off any threads and turn the right way out.

Well, if you didn't guess already, I picked yet another interesting food theme. In the short time as I have been looking up info, I have learned alot actually! So this week, I am proud to present you with the GROOVY 600's BABY! I'm gonna bring you some of the dishes that were popular in the 60's as well as some neat food trivia facts, etc. In the United States, the 1960s was a stormy decade shaped by the clash of conforming tradition and radical change. Culinary wise? WWII rationing was a distant memory, 50s casseroles were old & boring. The 60s encouraged showy, complicated food with French influence (Julia Child, Jacqueline Kennedy), suburban devotion (backyard barbecues), vegetarian curiosity (Frieda Caplan) and ethnic cuisine (soul food, Japanese Steak houses). This was also the decade of flaming things (fondue & Steak Diane) and lots and lots of junk food (aimed at the baby boom children). "Average" suburban families patronized family-style restaurant chains like Howard Johnson's. Did you know that it was the space program that made Tang a household name. In 1965 the Gemini astronauts took this drink into outer space. And the first Wendy's restaurant opened in 1969! So let's get started with the first Groovy recipe of the week... I hope you enjoy!



Beef Burgundy

Ingredients

2 pounds sirloin tips, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
12 ounces mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup Burgundy wine

Directions:

1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, sear beef on all sides. Stir in onion, and saute until golden brown. Add mushrooms, butter, mushroom soup and wine. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

Well kids, that's all for me this afternoon. I need to get motivated to get some things done around the house. I am just hurting to that point where nothing sounds good except laying in bed all day... ever felt that way? LOL Ok I hope you will join me back tomorrow for more fun and food! HUGS!

2 comments:

  1. beef burgundy is from the 60's? never knew that! its a staple here in my house!! LOVE it over rice or egg noodles!!!

    lurking and reading alot, not responding. My baby Miguel Isaiah was born 6-23 and has been keeping me extra busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the sixties.....free love, bell bottoms and hip hugger pants, going braless, HAIR, groovy tunes by Hendrix, The Who, the Beatles, Woodstock, and watching shows on t.v. like the Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Bonanza (OH yeah...Michael Landon made me swoon) and Hollywood Squares. Those were the years. And you are so right, food went through lots of changes too! Burgers and fries at diners, hand tossed fresh pizza pies at the neighborhood Italian restaurant, and frozen foods, now a must have in almost every kitchen, but a popular new inovation in the 60's. Beef Burgundy and Chicken a la King, Fried Chicken and Pot Roast; all the good foods that were made from scratch that our grandmas and mamas would make for us. I am definitely going to make todays recipe.....haven't had it in quite a while.
    I never thought about it but those little overalls made a real cute bag. I want to make one of those but my sewing machine got messed up in Hurricane Ike. Maybe I could do it by hand; might not be that difficult. I might give it a try. I will let you know if it turns out.
    As far as staying cool this summer goes.....I live in Texas and summers are a B__TCH! I am definitely going to be using my A/C!! Thats why when my DH was rebuilding our house, he put extra insulation in and bought a new efficient A/C unit. He knows me and he knows I hate being hot and he knows my thermostat ain't getting turned up no higher than 74 degrees. Besides , my house is rebuilt so good now that I am freezing half the time now and have to get under my blanket sometimes. AIN'T A/C WONDERFUL!!!
    Ok. Its late at night and DH fell asleep after doing his "homework" all day on the computer. Now that I get a turn on the Internet, its time for me to go click my mouse at the Animal Rescue Site and help some little animals before the day ends. Til next time....

    ReplyDelete