myspace generator

Sunday, July 4, 2010

HAPPY 4th OF JULY/BIRTHDAY

Good morning and hi there to all my friends! I must say Happy 4th of July to all and a HUGE HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Dad! Yes, he is an independence baby. And reading Dad’s comments from the other day when I posted the Why God Made mothers, well honestly, made me quite sad. Dad you are in NO WAY “inferior”! Aside from the fact that I love you very much, I sought out something very special for you… remember those cute kids with tons to say about moms? Well, they are back with just as much humor to highlight dads!



Why Did God Create Dads?

“God created dads so they could wrestle with their daughters or their sons or wife,” says Kaitlin, 8.

God created dads to wrestle, but also “to hug on,” says Taylor, 7.

“Sometimes dads like to show off, but the rest of the time, they’re playful,” says Kristen, 8. “They’re all big kids, and they always will be. Most of the time, they just want to be loved. You can tell they love you.”

Dads are a pushover, says Elizabeth, 9: “I think God created dads so they can fall for your little face. Also, they can buy you anything you want when you say ‘please daddy.’ They always fall for that!”

Lauren, 10, adds: “God created dads to tell you ‘yes’ when your mom says ‘no.’”

If it wasn’t for dads, most moms would never go camping and fishing, says Adrienne, 10: “Moms wouldn’t dare go without electricity, bait a hook or touch a dead fish.”

Actually, “God made daddies so that they can help mommies,” says Manasi, 7. “When mommies have babies, dad can help name them.”

Kayla, 12, “Without dad who would support the family? Who would go to work, cut the grass and do all the hard work? “

And when there are problems, “Dad will help you up when you fall. If you are bleeding, he will take care of it,” says Esther, 8.

Whether you fall on the playground or in life, a good dad is always there to pick you up, bandage the wounds and send you on your way.

“God created dads to help people build things for God and to have faith in God,” says Alex, 8. The greatest thing a dad can build is not a house, stock portfolio or business empire, but a relationship with God in the lives of his children.

“God made daddies so they could be brave, grateful and like Jesus,” says Alaura, 7.

Even dogs like dads, says Rebecca, 9: “Dad works so hard every day for my family, and he loves us all. He even loves my dog. And believe me, my dog loves him, too!”

Dad’s are awesome! I remember when my Dad picked me up from school cause I broke my arm, disciplined the dog when it snapped at me, taught me to check the oil in my car, and even was there when I woke up after surgery after my really bad car accident. I have one heck of a Dad… in my opinion… the Best! Don’t get me wrong, we have had our ups and downs, but I wouldn’t trade him for the world! I LOVE YOU DAD! If every kid had a mom and dad like mine, the world would be full of happy kids!



OK, I got a picture for you… check this crazy garden out! I had lost the celery so I took that up and had put a roma tomato plant in place of the 4 sticks that died. OMG this rain and the good dirt and god knows what else made this plant go absolutely haywire! I went to Wal-Mart yesterday (yes in the rain LOL) to get a bigger tomato cage for it and needless to say, it already fills half the cage! The eggplants that you see on the left… well those leaves are as big as my head! I told you this garden was growing crazy!



Ok this is another cute photo I just absolutely have to share with you! Its the newest babies… both the girls. Rescue the Rabbit and Mittens the Cat. (Ignore the hidious double chin I got going on there!) Yes we have named her. She has the gray body with white feet… all 4 LOL! I was going to go with Socks but my DD suggested Mittens and I thought back to that old nursery rhyme my mother used to tell me about the Kittens who lost their mittens and the pie and I thought it was perfect! Ain’t it so cute how the rabbit is a dwarf and STILL bigger than the cat LMAO! I tell ya, these animals are getting smaller and smaller each time! What is next… dwarf hamsters? LMAO! Anyway, she is still drinking kitten milk, which means she was NOT weaned. I have been putting Neosporin on her cuts and then I noticed she only has whiskers on one side of her face… explains the wobbliness! She is eating maybe a half a can of wet food a day though, which is great! And I made a mini-litter box in the carrier I am keeping her in and she is going in the box every time! YAY! Needless to say, she has made some dramatic improvements the last few days! Sadly though, yesterday, I went out in the back yard and found the other baby… .her sibling. The baby was not alive and it was pretty mangled. So I cried and then was really glad I brought this one inside! So I am up to 6 inside cats and a rabbit… SO WHAT! LOL… I take very good care of my animals. I feed them, play with them, and clean up after them everyday! Some could say I care for them better than I do myself! And they would be right LMAO! I love all my babies so much! Yes, I am an animal lover… so sue me LOL! Matter of fact, my bunny is munching on some fresh alfalfa sprouts and apple slices while she sits on my chest right now LMAO!

Alright its time to get crafty! Now you always hear mom and I talking about thrift stores and resale stores, flea markets, and I boast about freecycle too. Well some times you can find pretty and dainty old-fashioned hankies (for those youngsters out there, a handkerchief was a cloth kleenex LMAO) and I saw this craft and thought it was the cutest thing! So I wanted to share with all of you!



Craft Idea of the Day: Vintage Handkerchief Apron

Materials:

Fabric of choice
Skirt Section 35"x22" (90x56cm)
Front Band 14x3.9" (38x10cm)
2x Straps 39" x 5" (1mtx 12cm)

Directions:

This free craft project shows you how to recycle and revamp vintage handkerchief's into a funky vintage up-cycled apron.

If you have a plain store bought apron you can add the handkerchiefs to that also.

Start by cutting out the skirt, front band and strap sections.

Follow the directions on the patterns below.

Sew the Handkerchiefs into place on your apron, these are the pockets.

Gather the skirt section, (pin to keep secure) so that it fits the front band and then sew into place.

Take straps and fold each strap in half length ways. Sew the edges together and across 1 end. Turn inside out and press flat.

Sew down the top fold of the skirt and sew the straps into place at the same time by tucking in to the waist band.

You can finish off the apron by adding decorative edging or lace around the apron.

Ok it’s the last day of Dollar Store Dining, and just as with Russian week, I figure that a whole meal would be the perfect end to a successful adventure. Have you enjoyed the theme this week? What would you like to see in the upcoming future as far as food? I was thinking maybe an “ingredient specific” week. Oh the possibilities are endless… but until then, lets end the week with a Dollar Store Feast fit for a king! Eat & Enjoy!



APPETIZER: Corn Fritters

Makes: about 20
Cost: about $3.99

These little delights remind me of succulent popcorn. Food Club diced green chilies mixed with Knudsen sour cream makes a great, creamy, “chili verde” dipping sauce.

3 (15oz.) cans of Libby’s whole kernel corn
2 country eggs
2 tablespoons Springfresh milk
1 large tablespoon Best Yet flour or Cinch pancake mix
¼ teaspoon Hearth Club-Clabber Girl baking powder
Pinch McCormick salt
Gold-N-Sweet vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together

2. Form into quarter sized shapes and fry in oil until golden brown.

3. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.



SOUP: Maryland Crab Soup

Makes: 4 servings
Costs: about $3.99

Red Wine has been substituted for whiskey in this recipe. I have not strayed from the guidelines of this book, but you can. If you have some whiskey sitting around, go for it! It adds a nice nuance to the soup.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Spice Box dried chopped onions (use fresh onions when available)
3 tablespoons Danish Creamery butter
2 (6oz.) cans Chicken of the Sea crabmeat, rinsed and picked over
½ teaspoon Baja Pacific sea salt
McCormick Pepper to taste
3 cups Springfresh Milk
½ cup Hyvee evaporated milk, or cream substitute
2 tablespoons red wine (use what is available)
Spice Box dried Parsley

Directions:

1. Soak the dried onions in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain.

2. Melt butter in a frying pan. Saute dried onions until transparent.

3. Stir in crabmeat, salt, and pepper and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Transfer to a double broiler or place saucepan over boiling water in a larger pot. Add milk and cook for 15 minutes.

5. Add the evaporated milk. When soup is piping hot, stir in red wine. Serve immediately and sprinkle with parsley.



ENTRÉE: Steak Dianne

Makes: 2 servings
Costs: about $3.99

This is a rarer possibility, since steak is not always available. I wanted to include it to show how lavish one can be with good timing and an open mind.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons Savion dried sliced onions (use fresh onions when available)
2 (4oz.) American Companies beef rib-eye steaks (they DO have these at my local Dollar Tree YAY!)
½ teaspoon Spice Supreme Salt
½ teaspoon of Spice Supreme Pepper
6 tablespoons of Danish Creamery butter
1 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
1 tablespoon Master’s lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons Heinz Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Classic Crushed Garlic
¾ cup of water mixed with ¼ cup Aunt Nellie’s beef gravy
3 oz. Forrelli mushrooms, drained
¼ cup Christian Brothers white brandy or ½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons Encore dried parsley

Directions:

1. Soak the dried onions in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain.

2. Season steaks with salt and pepper and refrigerate for one hour.

3. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a frying pan. Add the mustard and 2 tablespoons of the onions. Saute for 1 minute over medium-high heat.

4. Add the steaks and brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side (until medium rare). Remove steaks to a platter and keep warm.

5. Add remaining butter, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, garlic, remaining onions, and the watery gravy mixture to the pan drippings. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and brandy or wine.

6. Boil, stirring frequently, until gravy is reduced to about ½ cup. Pour over steaks, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.



DESSERT: Peach Crisp

Makes: 6 servings
Costs: about $3.99

This is a great recipe to whip up when on vacation. Commit it to memory- as long as you have a feel for the consistency of the topping, you don’t have to worry about being perfectly accurate with the measurements.

Ingredients:

4 cups of Early Garden peaches, rinsed and drained
1 cup Best Yet flour or 5 oz. Manischewitz cake meal
¾ cups Spreckels sugar
½ teaspoon Spice Supreme Cinnamon
1 stick of Danish Creamery butter or Imperial Margarine
1 cup Good ‘N’ Hearty quick Rolled oats

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Put peaches in a greased 9” x 13” Pyrex baking dish.

3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon.

4. With your fingers, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

5. Add oats and sprinkle mixture on top of peaches.

6. Bake until top is browned and crisp, about 25 minutes.

Well folks, that’s about it for today. I think I am gonna go back to Petsmart and stock up on some of the great sales I found for litter and cat food. Maybe while I am there I will check out those dwarf hamsters LMAO! Kidding! Or am I? LMAO! So be safe in whatever you do today and I will see you back here tomorrow! HUGS!

2 comments:

  1. Ken "The Lurker Dad"July 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

    Awwwww how sweet! Well if you were trying to tug on the "old" heart strings you suceeded! Thanks for the B-Day wishes and the "Why Did God Create Dads" insert - I enjoyed it - but I'm still holding fast to what I said yesterday about the Moms.

    Now if I can hijack your spot for a moment, I want to share something with your followers that we've talked about not too long ago. (Hey, it's my B-Day and I'll do what I wanna . . . )

    For years, every Fathers Day, Birthday and Christmas, I've been barraged with the same question - "What do you want for . . .?". I'm a simple person, with simple wants and hopes. What makes me happy - what do I want? NOT having to bail my kids out of jail; NOT having to put my kids in rehab; NOT having to visit my kids in the hospital and NOT having to visit my kids at their gravesites. I have three fantastic "kids" (not so much kids anymore though) who are NOT afraid of hard work and who would not hesitate to help family or friend. What do I want? - I've already got it - I have truely been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets face it; I've got the greatest hubby in the world. its proclaimed this 4th day of July, 2010. LOL He is feeling older these days but I keep telling him he's still young and has lots of years ahead of him. I'm going to keep him so healthy that he has no option except to get older the right way. LOL
    That vintage apron made with the hankerchiefs is cute. Did you know that some quilters also use those vintage hankerchiefs to make new quilts with a old look to them. I fact, I think I've even seen a Christmas tree skirt made of some too. Cool way to repurpose items long lost to usefulness.
    The recipes look great but I think you got the wrong picture put with your Crab Soup recipe because it looks different then what the recipes listed would look in a soup. Might want to check that so somebody doesn't make that soup and then say, "Hey, why doesn't my soup look like the one in the picture". Believe me, I've been there, done that! LOL
    Hope everyone's day is a celebration of love happiness, and good times. Til next time....

    ReplyDelete