myspace generator

Friday, July 2, 2010

JUST “BEET” IT

Good morning boys and girls. How are you today? We are super swamped here with all the rain bans from the storm actually, but other than that pretty good. I am also very sore LMAO! I forgot how it was having a baby around! But oh boy did we have some fun!

The littlest kitten is doing well. I finally got her to eat some shredded wet food along with the kitten milk and pedialyte I have been giving her. However, every time I pick the poor thing up for a feeding, it shivers and shakes beyond control, so I don’t know what’s up with that. But she even tied playing with me last night LOL. She only woke up once instead of twice during the night, so I think that is progress! And she pottied in the makeshift litter box I put in the carrier! YAY! It’s a slow process, but hopefully she will get there.

With all the “mommy work” going on with all the baby kids, cats, and bunnies, I want to share this cute little article I found about moms. This should start your day out with a smile!

"Why God Made Moms" answers given by elementary school age children to the following questions.

Why did God make mothers?
1. She's the only one who knows where the scotch tape is.
2. Mostly to clean the house.
3. To help us out of there when we were getting born.

How did God make mothers?
1. He used dirt, just like for the rest of us.
2. Magic plus super powers and a lot of stirring...
3. God made my mom just the same like he made me. He just used bigger parts.

What ingredients are mothers made of?
1. God makes mothers out of clouds and angel hair and everything nice in the world and one dab of mean.
2. They had to get their start from men's bones. Then they mostly use string, I think.

Why did God give you your mother and not some other mom?
1. We're related.
2. God knew she likes me a lot more than other people's moms like me.

What kind of little girl was your mom?
1. My mom has always been my mom and none of that other stuff.
2. I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess would be pretty bossy.
3. They say she used to be nice.

What did mom need to know about dad before she married him?
1. His last name.
2. She had to know his background. Like is he a crook? Does he get drunk on beer?
3. Does he make at least $800 a year? Did he say NO to drugs and YES to chores?

Why did your mom marry your dad?
1. My dad makes the best spaghetti in the world. And my mom eats a lot.
2. She got too old to do anything else with him.
3. My grandma says that mom didn't have her thinking cap on.

Who's the boss at your house?
1. Mom doesn't want to be boss, but she has to because dad's such a goof ball.
2. Mom. You can tell by room inspection. She sees the stuff under the bed.
3. I guess Mom is, but only because she has a lot more to do than dad.

What's the difference between moms and dads?
1. Moms work at work & work at home, & dads just go to work at work.
2. Moms know how to talk to teachers without scaring them.
3. Dads are taller & stronger, but moms have all the real power 'cause that's who you got to ask if you want to sleep over at your friend's.
4. Moms have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.

What does your mom do in her spare time?
1. Mothers don't do spare time.
2. To hear her tell it, she pays bills all day long.

What would it take to make your mom perfect?
1. On the inside she's already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.
2. Diet. You know, her hair. I'd diet, maybe blue.

If you could change one thing about your mom, what would it be?
1. She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I'd get rid of that.
2. I'd make my mom smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it and not me.
3. I would like for her to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.

OK now you all know how I love making unique bags. Well I found this bag that recycles old neckties and I figured it would be right up my alley LOL! Visit the site for some great pictures that will make this craft much easier to replicate along with all the detailed instructions..



Craft Idea of the Day: Neck Tie School Bag

Materials:
Okay, you'll need a bunch of ties. Mine are all paisleys. A lot of lining fabric - mine is black velveteen.
One 18mm magnetic snap
Heavyweight stabilizer
Large graph paper (or newspaper) for pattern
Basic sewing supplies

Directions:

SECTION ONE: Let's start with the gusset/handle:

SECTION TWO: Now we are going to make the pattern for the front and back of the bag.

SECTION THREE: Now we are going to make the flap.

SECTION FOUR: The pocket

SECTION FIVE: Now we will line the bag.

Turn bag right side out - and voila!

Ok, now its time to eat. Time to feature some more Dollar Store Dining! Today we are gonna sing like Michael Jackson and “Just ‘beet’ it”! LOL! I am gonna feature a couple of recipes I found in the book that feature a vegetable that doesn’t get much attention… beets! Some people like them and some people don’t. If you haven’t tried them, perhaps you should using these recipes and it might surprise you! So Eat & Enjoy!



Gingered Beets

Makes: 4 servings
Cost: about $3.99

Ingredients:

1/3 cup of Spreckels sugar
¾ teaspoon Spice Box ground ginger
2 teaspoons Hartford House Corn starch
¼ cup of Apple cider vinegar
2 ½ cups of Libby’s canned beets, drained
2 tablespoons Danish Creamery butter
1 tablespoon Spice Box chopped parsley

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, blend sugar, ginger, and cornstarch and gradually add the vinegar. Stir until smooth.

2. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick.

3. Add the beets and butter and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Serve hot sprinkled with parsley.

(***HELPFUL HINT***) A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar a day helps keep the doctor away. I like it with sparkling water and a dash of bitters.

Beet and Chive Toasts

Makes: 4 servings
Costs: about $1.99

The rich color of the beets makes this an eye-catching appetizer. For Hors d’oeuvres, serve a dollop of the beet mixture on Grilled Stars (another recipe in the book).

Ingredients:

1 (15oz.) can of Libby’s beets
¼ cup of Spice Box dried chives
½ teaspoon of Morehouse brown mustard
½ cup sour cream
Tabasco sauce to taste
½ teaspoon Master’s Lemon Juice

Directions:

1. Coarsely chop beets.

2. Add the chives, mix in remaining ingredients, and bland well.

3. Chill.

4. Serve on chilled plates with toast as an appetizer, or in a chilled bowl with a plate of toast for a buffet.

(***HELPFUL HINT***) If you’re game, a redhead, or both, reserve the liquid from the beets and use it as a hair rinse. Add 3 times the amount of water as there is beet juice and apply after shampooing for a temporary fun tint.

Alright everyone, its time for me to get off here and get busy with my daily tasks LOL. I hope that you are safe and well and will join me back here tomorrow for more crafts and food and fun! Until tomorrow… HUGS!

2 comments:

  1. The article about "Why God Made Moms" was wonderful. I find it amazing how childrens perceptions of MOM change over the course of their lives. Its very obvious that these comments were from small children; elementary school age probably. But ask the same questions of teenagers and the responses will defintely be varied and different. Then as the children grow into adults, they go through their hardships and learn their life lessons, and then the way they look at and think about their parents is again, completely changed. I find it an excellent study in human behavior and growth of understanding others. Thank you, Renee, for finding all of us an excellent article to brighten our day.
    I like the neck tie purse. I have seen many other things made from old neckties too. And if you need to find old neck ties, the thrift stores are a bonanza of supplies for you. I love thrift stores and resale shops. If you have a good imagination you can find all kind of treasures to use for crafts.
    BEETS! I love beets. I peel them, quarter them and roast them in the oven until the edges are crispy. Yum. Delish! I will have to try these recipes to see if I like them and if I do I will definitely add them to my recipe box.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend and enjoys this first day of what looks to be here a very wet Fourth of July. Til next time.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken "The Lurker Dad"July 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM

    Makes me feel a bit inferior - but I've tried the "Mr. Mom" thing and was no good at it. My hats off to Moms everywhere. . .

    ReplyDelete