myspace generator

Sunday, August 8, 2010

HAPPY 250TH POST

Good morning everyone! How are you doing this crazy Sunday? I am really good today. The super sewing bug has bit and life is infectious right now... a good infection to have! I want to say HAPPY 250th! Yes folks, this is my 250th blog entry and let me tell you that I have had the best time and so much fun with you all! Thank you for a wonderful trip so far and I hope you will continue to stay with me until I am old and gray... oh poo, I am already partly gray LMAO! How about until I can blog no more LMAO! Yesterday was quite an eventful day and I have so much to fill you in on! So grab your cup of coffee, and sit back and let's dish some dirt, shall we?

We started the day off on a good note... the landlord called and said he was on the way with a new stove! YAY! Only took him 3 months LOL. So he gets here and then there is the bad news. He did not strap the stove down and on the way home, the stove fell and broke off 2 of the burner knobs. So now do I take another broken stove... hmmm. I can have a stove with just 2 working burners (and one of those on the fritz) or a stove with 2 working burners AND an oven to bake and cook. GEE... care to guess what I did?? Yep I can BAKE NOW! YAY! So I made pizzas for lunch and sausage and stuff for dinner! OMG was it wonderful!!!! LMAO... I am gonna see if I can get new knobs for the other 2 burners and if so, just fix those and have a completely functioning stove again!



Then I decided to go boogy and I took the family for a trip to JoAnn's cause they had some sales and guess who had a coupon! YEP... ME! Plus I needed some velcro. I found the perfect fabric for one of my gifts I want to do and then some of the cutest monkey fabric for the DN to make a stocking and a Boppy pillow cover. Of course, I was super annoyed to see they had the pillow already made at JoAnn's and I could've used a coupon AND the bag had a pattern on the back, but oh well... it was still cheaper to make mine!

After JoAnn's, we went to Wal-Mart (yes AGAIN LOL) to get some more alfalfa cause I was out for the rabbit, baby juice, and a few other things. Well when we pulled into the parking lot, I saw local police had "jimmied" a lock open on a car. Parked next to the police was Animal Control! Someone had left a dog in the scorching heat in the car with the windows up. I guess someone walking by saw this and called. The A.C. took the dog and the Police waited for the people to come out with tickets, metal bracelets, etc. Score one for the helpless little animals! YAY! I told the A.C. officer thank you for helping, etc. She was very nice. Serves those people right! You don't do that to little animals... you might as well lock up a KID in the heat!

Ok, so they had samples out yesterday, so we walked around Wal-Mart shopping and trying all kinds of things and filling up on bits and bites LOL. However, I did walk out buying one of the items I tried. It had a good flavor and thought it would make a good thing to have in the freezer in the event I was too tired or in too much pain to cook. They were Lean Cuisine steamer bags. Individual portion steamer microwave bags. I thought these would be great for the DD for like after a Football game or late night band practice. Well last night, I got hungry late, so I heated it up and was severely dissapointed... so much that I will be writing them and letting them know. The portion in the bag was NOT a full size adult portion in my opinion and it was mainly asparagus stalk as a veggie instead of the carrots and broccoli they picture as well... I got maybe 1 or 2 pieces of each! I can make a much better and BIGGER pot of something similiar at home and freeze it in normal human portions! LOL.



SO do you see this baby Monkey stocking? Tell me that's not the cutest thing in the whole entire world! Its a cool powder blue with baby monkeys, bars of soap, rubber duckies, etc. I wouldn't mind going back and getting more of this fabric to do more baby things with as it was just too cute! I also made a boppy case out of it (had some technical difficulties with it, so it doesn't quite fit like I would like) and I decorated some bright blue "burp towels" with it too! I have maybe a foot or so left, so I am not sure what else to make but I am sure I will figure out something LOL!



Ok, so yesterday I talked about the Ronald McDonald Challenge of the crayon totes and such. Mom asked to be a little more specific about what was needed, etc. So let me break this down for you. Total cost to fill all 30 crayon totes will be roughly about $105 plus tax (which I always take care of) IF I can get all the supplies bought while the school supplies are on sale at places like Wal-mart, where crayons right now are 25 cents per box! The markers and the map pencils are $1 each. Spiral Notebooks of lined paper are 15 cents and coloring books are $1 each. So example... $7.50 will buy all the boxes of crayons we need for the tote bags. If my readers want to mail actual items like coloring books, etc. that would be great. Or they can make a monetary donation via paypal or postal mail and I will go get the items locally. I think that would be best for things that might have the potential to be destroyed in the heat... like crayons, markers, etc. Can't really use melted crayons ya know. If you need more info, shoot me an email and lets talk. I would love to see my readers become a part of something great... like giving a seriously needed smile and a whole lot of hope to a little kids' life! I have also decided I am going to make some burp clothes for the little babies in the McDonalds fabric for the parents too... provided I have enough material left. But that is not priority like the bags are.

Now let's talk more about crafts. Are you enjoying the things I am bringing to you? I try to get a wide variety of crafts for you because I know that not everybody can sew, or crochet, or cross stitch, etc. I try to cover crafts for every age range, gender, etc. I even try to bring pet crafts, because I know, if you are like me and mom, your pets are just like your children too! Today I caught myself thinking about my mom's little crocheted animals and people and thought of all the cool ones she has. Then I thought about the holidays. Mom... I know you are reading this and you need some holiday creatures... I mean characters LMAO... so today I have brought you one for Christmas... SANTA CLAUS! I want to share this with all the knitters and crochet crafters out there! These would be cool toys as gifts or even donations to your local children's hospitals or other organizations. Have fun!



Craft Idea of the Day: Santa Shelf Sitter

Materials:

8ply/DK/(USA - WW/4ply) Courtelle, allow 25grms(1 oz) of Red and oddments of flesh, white and black.
No.11 (3mm)(USA2) knitting needle
Toy stuffing

Directions:

This is a knitting pattern for a Santa Shelf Sitter.

Tension & Size:

Worked at a tension of 26 stitches and 36 rows to 10 x 10cm over stocking stitch, using No.11(3mm) needles throughout.

Height: From base to top of hat 17.5cms (6.5/8") not including legs.
Head: 17cms (6.5/8") around centre;
Waist: 21cms (8.1/4") around centre

Abbreviations:
K, knit;
p, purl;
st(sts), stitch, stitches;
sl, slip;
tog, together;
inc, increase (by working twice into same st);
dec, decrease (by taking 2 sts tog);
ss, stocking stitch (k on right side and p on wrong side);
psso, pass slipped stitch over;
skpo, (slip1, knit1, pass slipped stitch over);
ytb, yarn to back of work;
NR: next row;

Coloured marker:

Use a small length of yarn that is a different colour to the yarn you are using at the moment; Cast off: bind off.

PLEASE NOTE: Sew up all seams in back stitch and stuff Santa firmly unless stated otherwise.

BODY: (make 1 piece) Starting at base edge and using red yarn, cast on 40sts. Placing a coloured marker in 18th and 23rd sts in the first row, ss8 rows. Break off red and join in black yarn and ss4 rows. Break off black and join in red yarn and ss10 rows.

Shape for shoulders: K4, (k2tog) six times, k8, (k2tog) six times, k4 (28sts). NR: P4, (p2tog) three times, p8, (p2tog) three times, P4 (22sts). Ss2 rows. Cast off all sts.

HEAD: (make 1 piece) Using flesh yarn and starting at neck edge, cast on 22sts and ss2 rows. NR: K2, inc, in each st to last two sts, k2 (40sts). Ss17 rows.

Shape for top of head:
1st dec, row: (K3, k2tog) to end of row (32sts). Purl every alternate row.
2nd dec, row: (K2, k2tog) to end of row (24sts).
3rd dec, row: (K1, k2tog) to end of row (16sts).
4th dec, row: (K2tog) to end of row (8sts).

Leaving a long end, break off yarn and thread through sts and put aside.

BASE: (make 1 piece) Using red yarn, cast on 18sts and ss12 rows. Cast off all sts.

ARMS: (make 2 pieces) Using red yarn and starting at top of sleeve cast on 12sts and ss7 rows.

NR: Inc, one st each end of row (14sts). Ss8 rows. Break off red and join in white yarn and knit four rows.

Break off white and join in flesh yarn and ss4 rows. NR: K1, (k1, k2tog) to last st, k1 (10sts). NR: P. NR: K2tog, to end of row (5sts). Break off yarn and thread through sts and put aside.

LEGS: (make 2 pieces) Using black yarn and starting at the foot, cast on 12sts and purl one row. NR: K1, (inc) in next 10sts, k1 (22sts).

Starting with a purl row, ss7 rows. NR: K5, (k2tog) six times, K5 (16sts). NR: P. NR: K5, (k2tog) three times, K5 (13sts). Ss6 rows.
Knit 3 rows.

Break off black and join in red yarn and starting with a knit row, ss20 rows. Cast off all sts.

HAT: (make 1 piece) Using white yarn, cast on 42sts and knit 10 rows. Break off white and join in red yarn and ss10 rows. 1st dec row: K1, (k3,k2tog) to last st, k1 (34sts). NR:P. 2nd dec row: K1, (k2,k2tog) to last st, k1 (26sts). NR:P. 3rd dec row: K1, (k1,k2tog) to last st, k1 (18sts). NR:P. 4th dec row: K1, (k2tog) to last st, k1 (10sts). 5th dec row: (P2tog) to end of row (5sts).

Bobble:
Break off red and join in white yarn and knit one row. NR: (Inc) in every st knitwise (10sts). Knit 7 rows. Leaving a long end, break off yarn and thread through sts, and set piece aside.

COLLAR:
(make 1 piece) Using red yarn, cast on 31sts and knit 3 rows. NR: (k1, inc) to last st, k1 (46sts). Knit 6 rows and cast off all sts knitwise.

BEARD: (make 1 piece) Using white yarn, cast on 20sts and knit 4 rows. Dec 1st each end of row until 2sts remain. K2tog, thread yarn through sts and pull up tightly and sew in.

MOUSTACHE: (make 1 piece) Using white yarn, cast on 9sts and knit one row. Cast off all sts.

MAKING UP:

Legs: Sew row ends together. Sew foot seams together. Turn leg to right side. Stuff foot firmly, stuff boot lightly and leave rest of leg empty.
Body: Sew row ends together. Turn so that right side of work is facing you. Pin the legs to base either side of markers, leaving a 4st gap in the middle and the front of legs facing the body.

Boots should be facing the neck line with the back seam of legs now facing outwards. (See photo 2 for placement)

Pin cast on edge of base to legs with one st overhanging each side of legs. Turn body and legs to wrong side and continue to pin base to cast on edge of body. Sew base to body. Turn body right side out and stuff firmly (see measurements for correct waist size).

Head:
Pull up sts tightly and sew row ends together. Stuff head (see measurements for correct size) and attach to body at neck opening.

Arms:
Pull stitches up tightly and sew side seams together. Stuff hands and 2cms(1") of arm, leaving the rest of arm empty. Fold arm so that side seam is in the centre and facing body. Sew arm to body on first row of shoulder decreasing through the first cast on row of arm.

Collar:
Place the collar on neck and attach the row ends of cast on edges together with a couple of overstitches. Lift the collar up towards the face and attach collar to neck with a row of sts through the first row of cast on edge of collar. Pull the collar down.

Hat:
Sew row ends together. Turn piece to right side and stuff bobble. Pull up sts tightly and sew in ends. Place hat on head (see photo 1 for placement) and attach hat to head by working a row of sts through the 10th row from cast on edge of the white band. Turn Band up.

Facial features:

Eyes: Leaving a gap of 3sts between eyes and using black yarn work a daisy st in one st and work a second daisy st around the first st.

Nose: Using red yarn, work the same as eyes.

Beard: Sew beard to face through the cast on row, attaching ends of beard to hat.

Moustache: Sew to the centre of beard and through the centre sts of moustache, leaving the 4 sts either side loose.

Buckle: Using black yarn, work a square of chain sts, 5sts wide and 6 rows deep.

This pattern is Copyright (c) Jean Woods 2001, all rights reserved. This pattern may be printed for your personal use only and not copied or resold without the permission of the author. This copyright notice must be kept intact.

Now let's talk about food! Its the last day here on WACKY WATERMELON WEEK and today we are cooking outdoors! Let's get the coals fired up (or for those of you who have to do it inside... your pans and plates) and let's get grilling!! I have had so much fun bringing you new and different ideas for this summer favorite! I hope the wide variety of ideas has inspired you to try something unique this week. So for today... Eat & Enjoy!



Maple Citrus Watermelon Glazed Chicken

Watermelon Glaze

Ingredients:

2 cups watermelon puree
Juice from 3 fresh lemons
1 tablespoon lemon zest
½ cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions:

Simmer ingredients together in a heavy saucepan for 20 minutes or until sauce is thick

Servings: Makes 2 cups. Keep warm.

Chicken

Ingredients:

Skinless boneless chicken breast splits
2 cups pineapple juice
½ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves minced fresh garlic

Instructions:

Place the chicken in a large zipper lock bag with rest of the ingredients and seal tightly. Allow to marinate at least 2 hours or up to 12. Grill until cooked and arrange on a warm platter. Pour the glaze over the chicken and serve immediately.
Servings: Serves 8.



Grilled Scallop and Watermelon Kebabs

12 sea scallops
4 cups boiling vegetable or chicken broth
24 1" x 1" watermelon cubes
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger

Cut the scallops into halves across the diameter to create half-moon shapes. Place them in a heatproof casserole dish in a single layer. Pour the boiling clear broth over the scallops and let them poach for 5 minutes. Drain and cool the scallops. On each skewer alternate 1 half-moon scallop, then 2 watermelon cubes, then another half-moon scallop. Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and brush the kebabs as they are grilled over a medium hot grill for about 90 seconds per side turning once. Serve warm. Serves 12 as an appetizer.



Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Watermelon Lemongrass Glaze

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass or 1 teaspoon dry shredded
1/4 cup extra dry vermouth
2 teaspoons soy sauce or to taste
1 cup watermelon puree
1/2 cup sugar
2 lbs. skewered grilled shrimp

Instructions:

Make the glaze by heating the oil in a 2- or 3-quart saucepan over medium high heat and in it sauté the garlic, ginger and lemongrass for a few minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in the remaining ingredients. Divide the mixture in two, setting aside one half for serving as glaze/drizzle. Use the other half for basting or marinating the raw shrimp. Note: do not mix liquid from the two halves to avoid contaminating the glaze/drizzle.



Grilled Spicy Watermelon

Transform watermelon from sweet to savoury with this mouth watering Thai-inspired sauce. Watermelon wedges are grilled until caramelized, drizzled with garlic chili sauce and garnished with cilantro. Serve as a side dish along with ribs, chicken or shrimp.

1 tbsp Lime Zest
1/4 cup Lime Juice
1/4 cup honey, divided
2 tsp. Garlic Chili Sauce
pinch of salt
1 medium watermelon
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro

Preheat grill to high. In bowl, whisk together, lime zest, juice, 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the honey, garlic chili sauce and salt.

Cut watermelon into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick wedges. Lightly drizzle each side with remaining honey and place on grill. Grill until just browned, about 2 minutes per side. Place watermelon slices on a plate and drizzle with lime dressing. Garnish with cilantro.

Makes 8 to10 servings.
Tip: Garlic chili sauce makes a great marinade for ribs, chicken and shrimp.

Well folks, thats everything to wrap up an incredible week. I hope you have had a blast and will come back tomorrow to start another amazing week! I think the DN and I are gonna go bake something yummy LOL! See you tomorrow! HUGS!

2 comments:

  1. Congrads on number 250. I love the blog and plan to stay a long time. As long as you do HAHA. I love the recipes, your crafts, your adventures, and everything you bring us. I also like the addition of the search labels on the right. Its very helpful to find things. Thanks so much for everything you do and bake something yummy for me too HAHA. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All bow to the Queen of Blog!! Congrats on #250. Thats a lot of typing. LOL And I agree with Tabitha. The column of items on the right is awesome. I spent a couple of days a few days ago looking for a couple of your yummy recipes. This list will make it soooo much easier. Thanks a bunch.
    The monkey fabric is cute. Is that one of your Christmas challenge items or is it a "Just Because You Can" project? LOL
    I'm glad someone called the Animal Control for that poor overheated doggie!! People like that, who dont consider the animals welfare, should get ticketed and locked up in my opinion. Theres no excuse! Would they get the same treatment if it was a child in that hot care? You can bet they would. Theres no difference. Oh, I start fuming when I hear of stories like that. Even though we all know what happens to some of the animals that Animal Control picks up, in this case more than likely the owner will get the dog back, hopefully, in my opinion, with a hefty fine and maybe even some community service. Oh my! I need to stop getting up on soap boxes. I'm starting to get nose bleeds I'm up so high on them. LMAO
    I could easily crochet that Santa and I'm one step ahead of you. I made a list of crocheted toy to do and Santa, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and Mr. Freeze were among the ones on the list. LOL I just have a hard time doing the crocheting sometimes because of the arthritis in my hands. But I'm going to see how many I can get done once I get all my yarn gathered up.
    I never thought about using watermelon as one of the ingredients in a glaze. Kind of like using any other fruit like orange, lime, or lemon juice. Hmmmm......interesting. Might just peruse through the old cookbooks and maybe put some life into those old standby dishes with a little watermelon delightfulness. Thanks.
    Alright everyone out there, hope you all are doing fine today and enjoying the summer. As for me, I'm going to do a little organizing today and keep cool. Remember to wear your sunscreen and eye protection out in those hot rays. Til next time........

    ReplyDelete