myspace generator

Saturday, August 7, 2010

WE HAVE BOPPY!!

Good Saturday morning everyone! How are you this bright and sunny day? I am good... woke up feeling like a pretzel LOL but good. Had a busy busy day yesterday, but it was fun. So come on in, grab your java, and have a seat so we can chat a while, eh?

Well yesterday started out with Band as normal... dropped her off for practice and then pictures. They release early after pictures, so I waited for the call to pick her up. Then my DN (nephew) was dropped off and we started our day! We ate, played, and had fun. Aunt Nay sewed a bit during the morning nap. Let me show you a couple of things I snapped a picture of from the last few days I haven't shown you.



This first thing is that Boppy Pillow I told you I was going to try to make. Its just the pillow, no case yet, but isn't it cute! It seems a little smaller than the one they have for the DN but I think its spiffy! The material is a stiff blue material that looks like denim but isn't. Its a pretty shade of blue though. I cut the pattern and sewed the 2 sides together and stuffed it up firm but flexible. Now they said on the site I found not to make it too firm, but my pillow will be used strictly for aiding DN in sitting while he eats, etc. so I think its ok! And I would know... I'm a mom, right? LOL!



The second thing I made is an extra large diaper changing pad. Now... this is kinda funny LOL. A multitude of things brought this on... the fact DN is a "boogie baby" going everywhere with us, those filthy diaper chaging stations you see in the restrooms out in public, and my mother and her germophobeness LOL! I made this extra large so that DN is completely covered when I put him on one of those stations... not just his back and butt, but ALL of him- I'm talkin' head, arms, legs, etc! It's double sided, so I can put either side I want out. One side is a pretty yellow snuggle fabric with baby stuff printed all over it, and the other side is more of that denim looking fabric like the pillow! Velcro closure and a batting lining makes this thing 100% machine washable as well! So you ALWAYS know its sanitary! Pretty cool I think!



Then I couldn't remember if I showed you the stocking with the music stuff on it, so just in case... here it is! Its a beautiful fabric of white with black music note staff and notes all over it as well as red ribbons and pine cones, etc. Very Christmas-y looking and I made the inside lining with red fleece. (I will work on getting a better picture soon!) I think its a beautiful fabric actually and I hope the recipient likes it! I have a purse I made for the holidays out of this fabric too. Its awesome and I will have a bittersweet moment when all the fabric is used LOL! I'm not sure if the fabric has been discontinued... might have to check on that if I can remember where I got it LOL!



Sew... there ya go LOL. A few things I have been working on. I have to take pictures of all of the rest of stuff still after I clear out my phone LOL. now as for today's craft, well I think I am gonna work on some things for some of the "band kids" that are like family. I'm not sure yet. I may work on some crayon wraps for the Ronald Mc Donald donation... ah thought I forgot about that huh? LOL nope! Oh BTW people... I have figured it out. We are gonna need 30 bags, as our local Ronald McDonald House houses 30 families at any 1 given time. So I figure 30 bags, stocked with crayons, etc.Seeing as I have most of the fabrics, etc, this will be rather inexpensive to do. I just need the filling for each bag. That's where you can help! I have looked and right now with the school supplies on sale, it will cost me about $3.50 to fill each bag! That's crayons and pencils or washable markers, paper, etc! I am looking for some kind souls to help me out here. Your name will go on a tag attached to each donation unless you choose to be "anonymous". Sadly, after school starts the prices will skyrocket, so I am trying to get it all now. Just think, for the price of one trip to Starbucks, or a pack of cigarettes, or even that one can of afterwork beer, you can bring hours of fun and smiles to a young person's face who 99% of the time doesn't even own a smile because of the pain that they go through everyday battling their illnesses. Don't they deserve just a little bit of happiness and time where they can forget they are even sick and just be a kid? So if you want to help, please make a donation via the paypal button or email me with other ways to help. Thank you...

Now, let's talk about sewing some more happiness shall we? Like I said, I'm not quite sure what I want to accomplish but I'm sure as I sit and stitch, I'll figure it out LOL. I thought of some scented sachets for dresser drawers, closets, etc. and think that those would be a cute idea for today. Sachets are fabric bags that are filled with potpourri and tied off with ribbons. They can be placed in clothing drawers, hung in closets or given as gifts. Fill them with potpourri you buy at the store or potpourri that you make yourself.



Craft Idea of the Day: Scented Fabric Sachets

Materials:

Narrow Ribbons
Fabric Chalks
Fabric-marking Pens
Fabrics
Ironing Boards
Irons
Potpourri
Sewing Machine
Threads
Decorative Charms
Scissors
Scissors
Heavy Paper Or Cardboard
Ruler Or Yardsticks

Directions:

Step 1: Decide what size your sachet will be and what fabric you will use.

Step 2: Choose a ribbon that coordinates with the fabric. A ribbon that is 1/4 inch wide or narrower works best. You'll need approximately 1/4 yard of ribbon for each sachet.

Step 3: Make or purchase potpourri. Many different blends are readily available. Choose your favorite.

Step 4: Use a yardstick or ruler to measure out a strip of fabric 10 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches. Cut out the strip.

Step 5: Fold in the raw short edges, toward the wrong side of the fabric, approximately 1/4 inch.

Step 6: Iron to hold the edges in place. Use a sewing machine to stitch turned-under edges into place. Repeat, turning the short edges in 1/4 inch more.

Step 7: Fold the fabric strip in half, right sides together. Stitch a seam on each side of the bag, 1/4 inch from the raw edges.

Step 8: Turn the bag right side out and fill it one-half to three-quarters full with potpourri.

Step 9: Tie the bag closed with ribbon. Avoid knotting the ribbon. These bags are made to be opened and refilled when necessary.

Now for today's edition of WACKY WATERMELON WEEK I wanted to find something with a little asian persuasion! And boy did I! I figure since a large amount of watermelons are produced in Asia, that there were bound to be some interesting cultural recipes. I love Asian foods and that motivated me to find something I thought would be FOOD-nomial LOL! So I hope you are pleased with these choices I brought you today... Eat & Enjoy!



Kung Pao Watermelon Shrimp

2 tablespoons peanut oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and cleaned
1 cup dry roasted and salted peanuts
1 cup prepared Kung Pao sauce
2 cups chopped watermelon

Heat the oil in a large heavy sauté pan or wok over high heat . Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds and then add the shrimp. Stir-fry until the shrimp begin to cook and plump up. Add the peanuts and sauté another 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low and add the sauce. Simmer just until shrimp are cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in watermelon and serve immediately. Serves 6.



General Tsao Watermelon
Recipe By: Joseph K. Poon for the National Watermelon Promotion Board
Serving Size: 2

8 ozs watermelon -- sliced
1 cup cornstarch

BATTER
1 cup flour All purpose
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup water to adjust thickness

SAUCE
1 tbsp soybean oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup mushroom soy sauce
1/2 cup Sherry or chardonnay
1 tsp garlic -- minced
1 tsp ginger -- minced
1 tsp hot sauce
cornstarch in water to adjust thickness

1. Dust the sliced watermelon in the cornstarch before dipping into the batter.
2. Deep fry the watermelon until golden brown.
3. Set to the side to cool, then deep fry it again to crisp up.
To make sauce:
1. Heat soybean oil in a hot wok, and add garlic, ginger and hot sauce.
2. Stir for a couple of seconds.
3. Add one cup of the general Tsao sauce to boil, add dissolved cornstarch to thicken sauce. Put the golden watermelon in and coat with the sauce. Serve

Note: After you make the batter, let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes before frying. The end result will have a far better texture.

Well that's all for me today folks. I have to get off here and get ready for my landlord to supposedly FINALLY bring me a new stove! 3 months in the waiting! It's about time! Then I am gonna find some projects to work on and maybe somewhere to take the kids to boogie today LOL. Thanks for joining me this morning and I will see you again tomorrow for more fun and excitement on The Frugal Mom. Until then... HUGS!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to tell you that stocking is very pretty. I agree with you, that material is very nice. Whoever gets that stocking is lucky. I have been slacking on my challenge work. Only crocheted twice but did get some ideas down on paper how I am going to finish my other projects....which ones, what order, what is left to be done, etc. Does that count? LOL
    What are you needing for the Ronald McDonald gifts? Or are you just looking for funding to get them done? Please let me know. I like giving to childrens charity if it is for a GOOD cause, not just one of those help us go to camp charity collections. If I had that kind of spare money I would send myself to camp, a SPA camp weekend. LOL
    Those are both very pretty food dishes today but my DH would look at it and say some smart remark like "Are we supposed to eat it or hang it on the wall". He likes his meals very down home cookin' style. But I definitely like both of those Chinese dishes so he might eat it if I pushed the issue. He does like to try new things with me.
    Good blog today. Hope your weekend is fun. Til next time.....

    ReplyDelete