myspace generator

Monday, April 19, 2010

WATER SLIDE

Morning everyone… how are you doing this disgustingly rainy day? The rain delayed itself a couple of days so that I could go to the Market YAY! But yesterday and today it dealt me a pretty rough hand, so I’m not doing so great really. But yet, we trek on… yesterday was super cooking day- despite my little mishap!



The day started out great! Once I got off here chatting with all of you, it was straight to the kitchen! We started by boiling pasta and blanching/steaming broccoli. Is that not the greenest broccoli you have ever seen? The picture does not do it any justice! I mean that stuff was sparkling emerald green when I took it out of the pot!



When the pasta was cooking, I was busy chopping! I got a hold of some zucchini and some yellow squash. Drained the garden pasta, dropped the next pasta in and threw the veggies in with a little zesty oil and voila! Yummy pasta salad! Healthy and delicious! Very good vegetarian meal if you ask me!



So we’re chopping…. And chopping… and we mix up some Broccoli Cheese Rice and some Asparagus Casserole. Pop them in the oven and let them bake. Gotta have sides for my meals... Doesn't that look delish with those toasted golden french fried onions on top? YUM! (Of course I could eat those things right out of the can LOL!) Then I hollowed out the zucchini and stuffed them with a sausage mix… AHH yummy Stuffed Zucchini Boats! Pop them in the oven and let them bake!



OK second batch of pasta is done. SPAGHETTI yummy! Throw the meat sauce in the pot and stir it up! About that time the Zuke Boats are ready, so I pull them out. Oh geez… YUM!

I had some chicken legs marinating in some Hawaiian season, so I threw those in the oven. I make a pot of mashed potatoes and heat up a few various canned veggies. Time to start plating! Crud… I have to run to the store because I am out of a couple spices, oil, and a few other things… While the chicken bakes, I start cutting beef and onions and such… peasant goulash coming up! But where’s the cocoa? Ah hidden… ok that pot is going and I pull the chicken out. Time to run to the store!

Well, as I said, it was raining. I was wearing flip flops (because they are all I can get on because my feet were so swollen) so I grabbed my keys and purse and I am out the door. Rain and very slippery wooden steps do NOT mix! I slide down ALL the stairs with the rain beating on me. My big toe bends forward and I land at the base ON it still forward… my leg goes numb cause that is my bad hip side anyway all the while my OTHER side is pulsing and throbbing from being beaten on the way down! It was like a big water slide, only not so fun! I am screaming in pain and I hear my DH running out of the house screaming at me to hold on he’s coming. Apparently he heard me fall. And my neighbor (the deacon) comes running to help too… not sure where she came from! She’s like Batman… comes out of nowhere LOL! Oh God, I hope she didn’t see me fall like an idiot! DH picks me up and gets me inside as he thanks the neighbor.



Ok, so I’m inside and crying and screaming and hyperventilating because of the pain and I am soaking wet! Oh geez, find me some dry clothes! DH trys handing me like 40 million different things and I’m like I’m too fat, that’s too heavy, etc. LOL… DD comes in and finds me a shirt… ahh thank you now get out- my butt is wet! LOL! DH takes a picture of the back of my thigh… pretty isn’t it? And just think, this is like no more than 10 minutes after it happened! Its much larger and darker this morning… and I have 3 other ones just like it- including a nasty one on my lower back! I look at my foot and it’s deep purple and swollen like crazy. I’m pretty sure it’s broken! I’ve had plenty of broken bones before and this one is swollen, purple, numb, and yet so painful… yea that sucker is toast! Ok so what, I gotta deal with it! I wrap it up, get dressed, and take some meds… and grab my cane out of the closet. NOW I H-A-V-E to go to the store!!! Family and foods are depending on me! It took a lot longer than normal, but I got it done… although I did have to ride a cart through the store!



Ok, so I get home and drop in another batch of pasta… egg noodles this time! Draining and straining (while sitting now) and mixing. Now I got some kitchen helpers LOL! Throw it together and into a pan… YUMMY Tuna Casserole! Maybe they can make it last a little longer this time… yea right LOL!



While that bakes I am slicing pork… and celery, and shredding carrots, and chopping broccoli LOL! Remember that jar of Planters I got at HEB the other day and didn’t know what I would use them in? Well I toasted those and used them too. Any clue? Yep… Pork Stir-fry!! YUMMY! Isn’t that just a Pot of Perfect Prettiness? LMAO! And it tasted good at that!

After the stir-fry, I plated and labeled the Goulash, the stir-fry, and everything else while the gang washed the dishes for me. I throw it in the freezer and start on the next group! I sliced sausage for jambalaya… ok that’s going. I cut more onion, celery, apples, and shredded carrot… mulligatawny soup… ok got that going! Slicing peppers and throwing together some spicy refried bean soup… ok that’s going too! I cooked until about 10:30pm last night, despite of my super ouch crash & burn! This is what I ended up with:

1. Pasta Salad
2. Spaghetti with meat sauce (to be paired with fresh salad and garlic toast)
3. Hawaiian Chicken Legs, Mashed potatoes, and green beans
4. Beef Goulash. Over noodles with Aparagus Casserole and Carrots
5. Pork Stir-fry with rice (and a fortune cookie if I can go get them)
6. Zucchini boats with broccoli cheese rice and corn
7. Mulligatawny soup
8. Spicy Refried Bean Soup
9. Jambalaya
10. Tuna Casserole

And I still have more cooking to do! Can you believe it? 10 complete meals in 14 hours minus a 3-4 hours oopsy time LOL! I figure that’s a great variety there… Fish/Seafood, Pork, Beef, Chicken, and Vegan. Pretty good for a day’s work (half of it being in a chair mind you!) Can’t tell you what else I have to do though LOL!

Ok its time to craft… repurposing, or recycling, is a good way to show little kids (or big kids too) a couple of valuable life lessons if you ask me. First you are teaching them not to give up on something (or someone). Next, be unique… how many kids do you think will be wearing a soda can tab belt? Not many I’ll tell you that! Then of course you have the obvious one of helping the environment. And finally- frugality! Recycling or repurposing things is a great way to save money! See, didn’t think recycling was so great, did ya? LOL! Well today’s craft is a new way to use old cookie baking sheets. Perhaps the non stick coating isn’t all that great and you don’t want to use them anymore… repurpose them! Cookie sheets/trays are not just for cookies anymore? Who would have thought that you could use a cookie sheet/tray for home decor? Cookie sheets can double as a message/magnet board for your kitchen, office or bedroom. The altered cookie sheet/tray craft can be new or you can recycle an old cookie sheet that doesn't work for your baking needs anymore. Use the altered cookie sheet to create a one of a kind message board for any room in the home.



Craft Idea of the Day: Cookie Tray Message Board

Materials:

Large cookie sheet 17x19 (non-aluminum steel works well)
Scrapbook paper or contact paper
Adhesive (spray adhesive works well)
Embellishments (ribbon, glitter, stickers, stamps and ink, etc.)
Large chipboard letters
Scissors or paper trimmer
Magnets

Directions:

Step 1: Trim the paper to fit the inside of the cookie sheet. Start with a 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper and trim to size. You will need two sheets in order to cover the entire inside of the cookie sheet. Cut strips of paper to fit on the two ends of the cookie sheet (top and bottom of the magnet board).

Step 2: Spray the adhesive on the back of the paper or on the inside of the pan. Next, gently place the paper on the inside of the cookie sheet paying close attention to the edges of the cookie sheet that you get the paper lined up evenly. The adhesive will have a little bit of give for a few minutes so if you get the paper in the wrong place then quickly and carefully peel it up and put it back down in the correct position. Once the adhesive sets the paper will be there for good.

Step 3: Smooth out the paper making sure there are no wrinkles. Use your embellishments to decorate the inside of the cookie sheet.

Step 4: Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to go the length of the cookie sheet and cover the seam between the two pieces of paper. Cut another piece of ribbon (about 8-inches), thread it though the hole in the top of the cookie sheet, tie it in a knot and use it to hang the message board on the wall or door.

Step 5: Use large chipboard letters to spell out a word at the top of the cookie sheet. You can personalize the message/magnet board by spelling out a name or another word. (example board says: "NOTES"). Decorate the chipboard letters with patterned paper, stamps or glitter to make the letters stand out. (example board: letters are stamped and inked around the edges).

Step 6: Adhere letters to the cookie sheet with a strong adhesive like glue dots. Place the letters evenly across the top or bottom of your message board. Give it some character by placing the letters at different angles across the length of the cookie sheet.

Step 7: Hang the finished message/magnet board on the wall and use magnets to display important messages for yourself or others.

Other variations:

Use the decorated cookie sheet as a picture frame. Display pictures on the inside of the cookie sheet (much like a scrapbook page).

Use the board in a bedroom to display certificates of achievement or other documents. Personalize it with a name or word describing the achievement.

Use the cookie sheet magnet board to house a chore chart in the kitchen where each person can check off their jobs.

I thought that was the coolest thing when I saw it and I had to share it with you! Now it is time to eat… and I know I have been eating like crazy the last couple of days. Yes I know why and no I can’t tell you LOL! I will be glad when the cravings leave in a few days! Until then I am destined to eat everything in the house LOL! Now this one was inspired by the boxes of veggies staring me in the face in my kitchen. I know some of my readers are also vegetarians out there and I wanted to give them a slow cooker idea to enjoy!



Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients

1 (19 ounce) can black bean soup
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes in puree
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil

Directions

In a slow cooker, combine black bean soup, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, baked beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper and celery. Season with garlic, chili powder, parsley, oregano and basil. Cook for at least two hours on High.

Ok kids, its time for me to get off here, go take my morning meds, and get to work! I will see you all here tomorrow for some more crafts, great food, and interesting adventures! Until tomorrow… HUGS!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness that must have scared the crap out of you and hubby .I know how you feel i broke my toe last summer ,I know it useless to say but stay off it ,nah you couldn't sit still that long .
    When your making all these dishes at once do you ever put the wrong ingredients in the wrong pot.You'd just give it a new name if you did eh LOL .You make my day it such a treat to read your blog every morning .Feel better .

    ReplyDelete