myspace generator

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I BREAK FOR BREAKFAST

Good morning everyone! How are you doing this bright and surprisingly sunny Tuesday morning?? I’m doing pretty well considering we had more MAJOR breaks yesterday! We have, yet ANOTHER bathroom out of order so we are down to 1 now. The flapper broke, but I fixed that. Then when I was outside talking to my mom and Dad when they stopped by, I noticed a HUGE gush of water from the bathroom and I was like OMG NO! Yep… soooo waiting on the landlord to fix that now! BUT on the good side, the hubs and DS18 helped me gut the kitchen… took everything out, cleaned-scrubed-bleached everything top to bottom… walls, cabinets, dishes, you name it! THEN I put 2 coats of fresh paint on everything- walls, cabinets, etc LOL! I threw out 2- 39 gal. Bags of junk that was just cluttering the room. I’m talking these were things I don’t have the other parts to, that were chipped or broken, just JUNK!… DECLUTTERING! It gave my kitchen a whole new, very clean look and feel and I was so proud! It took us 5 hours and my legs swole up very badly… but its done and it looks great!!!!!! Today is total domination of my LIVING room! LOL!

OK, so while I was in the kitchen, I was appropriately thinking of all of you LOL! I was thinking about all the different foods I share with you. I thought to myself that I know I have shared a few breakfast items like waffles and stuff… but I have never devoted a day to BREAKFAST! YUM! I know a lot of people, yours truly included, who eat breakfast for dinner sometimes. The fact of the matter is that breakfast is one of the easiest (NORMALLY LOL) and cheapest meals to prepare and you get a full belly and full wallet all in one! SOO guess what kids… today I BREAK FOR BREAKFAST! LOL!

OK well I have already shared some things like Gingerbread waffles, almond French Toast, and my Egg Cups, as well as some others. SO, I’m gonna show you some more today that are absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious! I found this first one on Taste of Home and I just thought it was too cute and I wanted to share with you all. This would be a cute idea for a breakfast buffet or if you just want to make it for your family. You name it… its adorable!



How to make a Donut Tree

Use a 12- to 14-inch platter for the base. For the first level, assemble nine doughnuts in a ring with three doughnuts in the center of the ring. Stack another doughnut on each of the 12 donuts.

For the second level, assemble seven doughnuts in a ring with two in the middle, then top with another layer of 9 doughnuts.

For the third level, make a ring of 5 doughnuts with one in the middle; repeat the layer. For the fourth level, make a ring of 3 doughnuts; repeat the layer. Top with a single doughnut.

Add food coloring to your favorite glaze recipe and dip doughnut holes into the glaze. Position the doughnut holes in openings to add color. The top doughnut on the tree can also be dipped in colored glaze. You can also add sprinkles, nuts or drizzle the "tree" with icing.

Alright, now moving on to eggs and such… You have probably heard about making kolaches (or pigs in a blanket- depending on where you are from). Well how about wrapping up your whole breakfast in a biscuit or crescent roll? Oh yes… portable and yummy and a certain “neat” factor as well!



Breakfast in a Blanket

Ingredients:

2 cans of refrigerated Grands Jr. biscuits or Crescent rolls
20 fully cooked breakfast sausage links
1 dozen eggs
2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 cup diced jalapeno (optional)

Directions:

Scramble eggs in a skillet. When just about complete, add cheese and jalapeno to pan. Remove from heat.

Stretch individual biscuits about 3-4 inches in diameter. Place a spoonful of the egg mixture onto center of raw biscuit. Place a sausage link in the center of the eggs.

Roll biscuit around the eggs and sausage and pinch seam closed. Wrap or pinch ends closed. Place seam down on a baking sheet coated in non-stick spray.

Cook according to biscuit directions. Serve immediately..
Make these up and the kids can grab and go as they are on their way to school and you don’t have to worry about them getting a healthy breakfast! You can add all kinds of diced goodies to it to… tomatoes, bell peppers, you name it! Its versatile and fun! Now the next thing is a variation of my egg cups, except there is no meat holding it together! The meat is on the INSIDE this time. Again, you can use whatever kind of meat you want… bacon, diced ham, pan sausage, etc! And my kids even gave them a cute name too!



Egg McMommins

Ingredients:

1 dozen eggs
10 oz. Refrigerated shredded hashbrowns
1 pound of rolled breakfast pan sausage
2 cups of shredded cheese

Directions:

Brown sausage in skillet. Make sure there are no large clumps of the ground meat. Drain if necessary.

Add hash browns into skillet. Toss until slighty golden. Add eggs. Cook until eggs are about halfway cooked, but still have a “wet” consistency. Quickly add cheese. Spoon into a greased muffin pan. Fill to rim.

Cook muffins for about 10 minutes or until firm and golden brown.

Again, feel free to add anything you want to these as well… diced veggies, hot sauces, etc. Recipes, to me anyway, are nothing more than guidelines. They give you a basic structure but you can add or delete according to your health and tastes. Don’t like onions? LEAVE them out (unless they are the main ingredient of course LOL). Experimentation is what leads to the greatest flavor combos you can imagine! And some not so great ones too LMAO! OK… now this one I saw on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and I HAD to find it… simply because I LOVE Captain Crunch!! I mean I will buy a box and HIDE it from my kids just so I can eat it LMAO! So I found it and went to heaven and if you like the Cap’n… then you might want to try it!



Cap’n Crunch French Toast

Ingredients

3 large eggs
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 (14 ounce) package brown sugar and butter flavored crispy corn and oat breakfast cereal (such as Cap’n Crunch®), crushed
6 thick slices egg bread (Challah)
2 tablespoons butter

Directions

Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Pour in the cream, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whisk until smooth. Pour the crushed cereal into a shallow dish; set aside. Dip the egg bread into the egg mixture two pieces at a time until the egg has been soaked into the center of the slices, about 30 seconds per side. Press the soaked bread into the crushed cereal until coated on both sides. Set the finished slices aside on a piece of waxed paper.

Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the French toast in the hot pan until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.

And finally… how about some pie for breakfast? Would you like sweet or meat? Here… have one of each LOL!



Ham Pie (aka a quiche)

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped fully cooked ham, divided
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup light cream

Directions

In a saucepan, saute the broccoli, green pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Sprinkle half of the ham and cheese into pie crust. Cover with the vegetables and the remaining ham and cheese. Combine eggs and cream; pour over ham and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If needed, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent excess browning.



Pumpkin Pie French Toast

Ingredients
3 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
8 slices day-old bread
Directions
Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.

Whisk eggs, half and half, pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and walnuts together in a bowl. Soak one slice of bread at a time in the pumpkin mixture, then place in the prepared skilled. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread. Stir the pumpkin mixture between dips to keep the walnuts from settling. Cook the bread until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.

Ok so there ya go… that’s a ton of munchies in all kinds of flavors to start your day out with! As for me… well I am off to conquer more clutter, maybe get this place fixed up, get some personal business done, and of course COOK!!!!!! So Happy Eating and until tomorrow… HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment