myspace generator

Saturday, January 2, 2010

LAUGHTER CURES WHAT AILS YA!

Well a big Hi there and hello from Texas! It’s a very cold morning here and my hands feel like blocks of ice! I want to start off by thanking everyone for the comments both on here and in my email. A couple made me tear up and a couple made me chuckle. Either way, they all brought me joy! So thank you and keep leaving such great comments!

OK, so yesterday I told you I was gonna finish undecorating right? Well I did it… in record time no doubt! Everything is moved into storage and ya wanna know something? My dang living room echos! LMAO How is it I have never noticed this until now? LMAO even the kids said “Wow mom, it DOES echo in here” lol so I went around the rest of the afternoon acting like I was echoing at the Grand Canyon. LOL it was so funny and the kids were saying “Mom, you’re such a nerd!” OMG gee love you too butthead! LOL! I still have this one ugly pile of junk by my desk that thinks it has won but little does it know, I have a new plan of attack and it will surrender to me today! Mwahaha! LMAO (See what the cold does to your brains kiddies???)

Alright I’m hungry… what’s to eat today? WHAT?? You want ME to cook? LOL ok ok… cold weather to me is slow cooking soups and such (If ya haven’t already caught on to that…). Winter time is when I make a lot of hearty soups, stews, etc. I actually got 3 freezer meals out of dinner last night (I was impressed LOL). I try to stock the freezer that way in the summer if for some odd reason they want what I deem “winter food” they can have it. Summer time is a whole nother type of cooking so stick around… there is a “whole other side of me” the kids say LOL! Ok, so dinner today… well I am lucky to have multiple crock pots courtesy of the Crock Pot Trio’s and I can have 10 pots (3 trios and 1 single LOL) going at once LOL! If you don’t have one and can spare $100 I recommend it HIGHLY! That’s if you are a cooking fanatic or you have a large family, etc. I got mine at Target but I am not sure if they are seasonal so run while you can! I plan on picking up at LEAST 2 more when I get my taxes back if they still have them! Well I have a request for more chicken & dumplings (by my belly LMAO) so that will be in one pot. My brother is a big fan of clam chowder, so I think I am gonna make him one pot and I’ll have some hot & Sour for my mom on a 12qt pot on the stove (cuz it doesn’t need to cook all day). I’m also thinking about trying some Peasant Goulash I found a recipe for in one of my books I found on our Super Shopping Spree. If it turns out (and is pretty LOL) I’ll share it tomorrow. See, I like pretty foods… it makes me (and you LOL) WANT to eat them… its been said (by me at least I KNOW) that we eat with our eyes. I know I do… if it looks nasty, then 9 times out of 10… I ain’t eating it!! LOL! OK so in the last crockpot I will probably make some Bourbon Mango Pulled Pork so the gang can have sandwiches with the clearance crusty rolls I found (and froze… gotta get them out LOL!). So I’ll share 2 recipes today… the Pork and the Clam Chowder to tempt your palate!



Bourbon-Mango Pulled Pork

Ingredients

2 mangos
1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
2 teaspoons honey
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger bourbon whiskey
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce

Directions

1. Peel the mangos and remove the pits. Place the pits into a slow cooker, then roughly chop the mango and set aside. Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker, and season with the black pepper, kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder; pour in the balsamic vinegar and water.

2. Cover, and cook on Low 5 to 8 hours until the meat is very tender. Once done, drain the pork, discarding the cooking liquid and mango pits, and shred with two forks.

3. While the pork is cooking, puree the chopped mango in a blender until smooth, then pour into a saucepan along with the honey, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, and whiskey. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently until the mango has reduced and darkened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the barbeque sauce, and remove from the heat.

4. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir in the mango barbeque sauce. Cover, and cook on High 1 to 2 hours until the pork absorbs the barbeque sauce.



Awesome Clam Chowder

Ingredients

1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
5 unpeeled potatoes, diced
2 carrots, diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams with juice
2 (1.8 ounce) packages dry leek soup mix
1 quart half-and-half

Directions

1. Place the bacon in a large pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pot. Set the bacon aside. Stir the potatoes and carrots into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Pour the juice from the clams into the pot, and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Gently stir the leek soup mix into the potatoes until no lumps of soup remain. Stir in the clams, reserved bacon, and half-and-half cream. Cook and stir until the chowder returns to a simmer and thickens, about 10 minutes more.

Well I guess that’s all folks! I’m off to start the pots and conquer the last of the holiday havoc! LOL… Then I have to try to finish my dad’s gloves I have been sewing for his sandblasting machine… he really kinda needs them LOL! Then I guess if I finish that, I can start on some crafts on my list of goals! So until tomorrow my precious… HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment