myspace generator

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

DECK THE HALLS

Welcome back and thanks for stopping by! I hope this day finds you in good spirits. Woke up this morning very very stiff... too much physical work yesterday. I'm in some pain let me tell you! BUT... I got my house decorated (at least half way) and it made my son feel much better so it was worth it. Will piddle with it today as long as my body holds out. The tree is up and decorated, my nutcrackers and bears are out, wreaths and stockings are hung, etc. Still have to put up my village and a few more things then get the outside done... gonna be a long week or so, let me tell you!

Ok, I got a couple of emails yesterday in regards to my family and one of the shirt pics I posted saying my "family story doesn't fit". So let me clarify some things for you. Michael, my 18yr old, is not biologically mine. He was my daughter's friend who was being beaten very badly in the house he was staying in. After knowing the child for a while, we came to find out about his "life" including the abuse. One Sunday, he showed up on my doorstep beaten and bloody and begging me to let him in... he was scared for his life. We called the cops and they said because of his age, if he didn't want to go back he didn't have to. Hense now he lives with me. I got the power of attorney, he calls me mom, and its just like if he was mine. I don't say any different to anyone. BUT that is the reason you didn't see his name, pictures, or handprints on the shirt we made my Dad. And it was Michael's idea not to be on the shirt. He is a really good kid who just needed someone to love him and guide him, so that's what we did. HOWEVER... I also know teen boys and that is why I had my daughter placed on the pill... because I didn't want her to have to change her plans for life because of something that could have been prevented. Trust me, had I not been assaulted, I'm sure MY life would have been much different... She's a bright girl and I want all the world for her, so that's why I took precautions. So now ya know...

Alrighty, let's get crafty! Let me tell ya, yesterday I wanted to make a muzzle for the hubs cause he was just doing every last little thing he could to get on my nerves!! OMG I wanted to just lock him on the porch to sit in the rain just so I could have 5 minutes of silence! LOL... your significant other have those moments where they just act dumber than a box of hair and bug you to no end where ya just want to hang them by their toenails? UGH! LOL ok now that I vented that out LOL... on to... the

Craft Idea For the Day: Recipe Books
I don't really have a picture to share with you yet, but let me tell you this is an easy gift for anyone you know. What you do is take a spiral notebook (I normally use a 1 subject spiral) and cut a piece of scrapbook paper or old wallpaper, wrapping paper, etc and cover the front. You can add foam or felt letters and decorate it however you want. Then on the inside, you write down your favorite recipes you think that person might enjoy. You can do front and back or each page if you have alot to share, or just do one recipe per sheet and write "NOTES" across the back that way if they want to write notes about what changes, etc. they may make to the recipe to make it to their liking, etc. You can also use a ring binder and cover the ring binder with papers or fabrics. Make sure to print really neatly (or in the case of the ring binder you can print it). That's it, simple and will more than likely be really appreciated. You can also couple this with homemade kitchen sets, dishes, pots, etc. I am making a special one for my grandma with all my soup recipes in it (she has dental problems, so she eats alot of soups) and I am sticking it in a soup pan I got her and wrapping it up. If you make a skillet recipe book, buy an inexpensive skillet and place your book inside (cover up of course) and wrap it that way. But the pan is not necessary... just my way of sprucing it up! It's a very versitile gift I am sure everyone will enjoy! (When I'm done, I will post a pic of grandma's!)

You hungry yet? I am... but I'm not sure what to make. Hmmm... lets see I just plan on being home all day and decorating. It's cold and wet outside. Basketball practice is over at 5:30 and band at 4:00 so the gang will be home by 6pm... hmmm... I think some Rustic Lentil Soup with cornbread, Beef tips with gravy over mashed potatoes, corn, and buttermilk pie for dessert sounds divine, wouldn't you agree?? Yea that sounds like it has the yummy factor today! Now everything but the pie can be made on the stovetop... It's actually my daughter's second favorite meal (next to my brisket LOL).



Rustic Lentil Soup

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vinegar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.

2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.



Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients
1/2 cup margarine, softened
2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.)

2. In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Beat in flour and salt. Blend in the eggs. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into pie shell.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake 45 minutes, or until filling is set.

Well there you go... a craft idea, a soup, and a pie all in one day! Aren't we lucky LOL! Actually I have so much fun doing this and sharing these with ya'll (hey hush I'm from Texas by gosh LOL!) and I hope you enjoy the things I share with you! So I'm off to prep food and decorate! Until tomorrow kiddies... HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment