myspace generator

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SOUPS, SOUPS, & MORE SOUPS!

Good morning kiddies! Time to rise and shine! Its almost 9am here in my 57 degree home and it's soup kitchen day! At least there is no rain today YAY! I have decided that I am not going anywhere today... no more shopping right now. I'm gonna cook, cook, cook, til I can cook no more LOL! Maybe if I cook a bunch while the kids are all gone, I can get some stock of individual portions built up in the freezer LOL! Gonna finish sewing some projects I started in between all the cooking... both for Christmas and the sale this weekend. I am also gonna wrap up some gifts while they are gone too... gifts from Santa. You see, 2 of my kids and 3 of their friends actually still believe in Santa Claus (at least they tell me they do and they are pretty convincing LOL) so I have to play for a little while longer. Hey- I'm just that good LMBO! Being I have such a big family (both immediate and extended) we go through a LOT of presents... let me show you:



See, what did I tell you?? You would think Santa bought out the Wal-Mart right? LOL... But this is just for my kids and husband and immediate family. The friends, extra "kids", extended family, etc. are in the other room under the other tree! Creepy huh? Don't have a coronary LOL, most of those are handmade. I would say about 85% actually. There are a few of the kids who get something special... especially if they talk about it and I know their "parents" (using that term VERY loosely) won't get it for them. A few times it's been something as simple as a DVD or a music CD. Sad huh?

Well yesterday, with running my mom around (which I don't mind at all... I love being with my mommy LOL), I didn't get much personal stuff done. I got my son's letterman jacket ordered (YIKES... almost $200 for just stinkin patches LOL... but he earned it so its worth it!), and some of the grocery shopping done for the house. I was gonna go out again today (cuz my Kroger has the 10 for $10 sale starting today YAY!) but I am still not feeling 100% so I think its best to stay home and cook and sew, and wrap, and cook LOL! Sew, (lol) what's on the menu today? Well, after listening to all the perverted male jokes and comments last night about my squash, I will be making the butternut squash soup recipe I gave you last night, as well as some broccoli cheese soup, chicken and white bean stew, some creamy tortellini soup, and maybe some crock posole. The squash was prepped and in the oven by 7:30am and it smells wonderful already in my house! I will be freezing the squash soup and the BC soup. The rest will be tonight's cafeteria pots for when everyone wanders through LOL. Hmmm... 5 soups... which of the 4 remaining ones do I give the recipe to? I think I'll share the other most fave one in my house... the Broccoli Cheese soup. Don't worry now... stick with me and you will be able to make your own recipe book before too long LOL! So here ya go:



Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter*
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli*
4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (2 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup water

* Butter is only needed when you use fresh broccoli. When using fresh, use about 3-4 crowns chopped (or more depending on how much broccoli you like).

Directions

1. In a stockpot, if using fresh broccoli, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in broccoli, and saute in butter for about 7-10 minutes or until the florets are bright rich green. Cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.

3. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.

So there you have it... my "famous" broccoli cheese soup. I tell ya I can't keep it in the house long enough to freeze any and when I get it in the freezer, it doesn't last long! My daughter says the "ultimate shiznizzle" is when I pair this with a grilled cheese sandwich. She says its her little food heaven LOL! OK so that's where I'll leave you for the day... I'm off to get my squash out of the oven and start the soup and sewing marathon! Until next time... HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment