myspace generator

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

THE GIFT OF LOVE

Hey everybody! How are you doing this morning? I woke up cold and emotional for some reason... maybe cause I'm not feeling real good. I want to share something with you today that gets me all teary eyed... but in a good way!

One of the gifts I am making this year (actually need it done by Saturday... almost there LOL YAY!) is for MY BFF whose name is Vicki. She is like a sister to me. We met over 10 years ago when my youngest entered school... she was the teacher's aid. She was the one who worked with my son Alex when no one else would. Well over time we got to be close friends. I was there for her during her divorce, her father and a couple of other family members passing, health problems, etc. When she got divorced, her and her son had to live with her grandma (she called her "Gram") in a tiny little house in a not so good neighborhood. They struggled for food, bills, you name it. Well I taught her how to use coupons and make her life better. I would coupon shop for her, etc. Well Gram called me her "angel". She was a seamstress for 30 years and had TONS of supplies for all kinds of crafts. Well, when Gram died, we found out that she left all the stuff to me just because I helped them out and was Vicki's friend. Ok, so yea I cried... and Vicki was VERY close to Gram as well. So one day I was going through all the stuff that Gram left me, when I came upon a box of all kinds of patches... big ones, small ones, you name it. I wasn't sure what to do, so I put them all in a big bag and waited... for an idea. Being as Vicki was so close to Gram I figured I wanted to make something for her that she could keep with her forever that was a part of Gram. I took each patch and sewed it on an individual square. Then I quilted the squares together. I made her a memory patch quilt and I will be giving it to her on Saturday. UPDATE** Here is the picture of the finished lapquilt!



I know she is gonna cry, but I also know there is nothing better in the world to give someone than the gift of love! If she ever reads this... I love ya Vickerdoodle! You are the sister I always wanted.

Ok, now that I have totally balled my eyes out and took a hundred deep breaths, lol... let's get on to the

Craft Idea for the Day: Candy Cane Vase



Here is a cute idea to be in the spirit of the holidays. Its great for holding fresh cut flowers or even a candy bouquet! All you do is take a aluminum can that has been washed thoroughly or a straight clear glass jar or vase and hot glue candy canes next to each other all the way around (the "hook" parts facing out of course). Tie a red ribbon around the canes when completed and you can either make it into a candy bouquet (from one of my previous posts) or put some water and some fresh cut flowers in. I made a couple and put a plug of foam and some faux poinsettias in them as centerpieces and decorations!

Ahhh... where's the beef? OMG lol do you remember that old lady going around saying that in the 80's?? LOL she reminded me of my Grandma (hmmm seems to have a theme of Grandmas today huh? LMAO!). She was loud and obnoxious! LOL Love you granny! I'm just kidding... I have an awesome grandma and I love her to death! Shoot, I am named after her and for the longest time I wanted to be just like her! OK back to dinner... I am gonna make some slow cooker pepper steak with white rice and some hot & sour soup tonight I think. I am also gonna make a huge pot of spaghetti and some garlic bread! YUMMY!! Ok, now I gotta get something to eat for breakfast! LOL



Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

Ingredients
2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
garlic powder to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cube beef bouillon
1/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.

Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve on a bed of white steamed rice.

Now, onto some yummy goodies for the day! First I am gonna give you a cookie that I think is just the bomb biggity (as my kids STILL say LOL). I loved when my mom would make these growning up and she loved it when HER mom made them! I know, old huh? LOL... They are super simple to make. One time I made 4 dozen of these for my mom (they were SUPPOSED to last a while LOL) and she ate ALL of them! LOL she didn't share one! I had to whip her- cause she's a DIABETIC!! LMAO! J/K I would NEVER hit my mom! Now verbally scold her is another story LOL...



No Bake Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Pet (evaporated) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except peanut butter, vanilla, and oats and cook over medium heat. Let boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and oats. Spoon out quickly onto wax paper or aluminum foil. Cookies will harden as they set.

Yes yes yes... I am so making those today LOL! But I'm not giving my mother as many LOL! Gonna make this too...



Butterscotch Spice Cake

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
In large mixing bowl, combine spice cake, butterscotch pudding mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer for 4 minutes.

Pour into prepared Bundt pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), for 55 to 60minutes, or until cake tests done. Allow cake to cool 15 minutes before serving.

Ok kids, as you can see I have a big menu today... Aside from all this stuff we talked about today, my brother asked me to make a couple of Pecan pies for his Christmas party at work tomorrow... so I gotta make those too! LOL... ready... set... GO!!!! Till tomorrow- Happy baking! HUGS!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog the goodies and crafts are great and your humor makes my day .Thank You for sharing all your wonderful idea's .

    ReplyDelete