myspace generator

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

MONSTER veggies & Butternut Squash Soup

Greetings ladies and gents. I know this evening I am somewhat late... and I'm sorry. I had to take my mother to run some errands since my dad was at work and then I had to do my household shopping and scare the cashiers and little kids in the store LOL! Its cold and wet here and downright dreary! The weatherman here said we very well might get snow on Friday. I'm torn... I want it but yet I don't cause I planned my last craft sale for the year this weekend! UGH! But I know that for the next few days its lots of warm home cooking! YAY!

I bought the last of my baking supplies today- 50 pounds of sugar and 50 of flour, powdered sugars, flax seed, you name it I bought it. I still have to go get another 10-15 dozen eggs though, along with gallons of milk, butter and other cold things. LOL I ran out of room in the basket and had to stop. I bought 2 cases of corn, 1 of green beans, etc. and the little boy behind me in line was asking hundreds of questions. LOL his little sweet self thought the business would close if I took it all home. I couldn't help but chuckle! Plus I started hurting real bad so it was time to come home. I dropped over $450 today at one store and about $120 at the meat market. And sadly, I'm not done yet lol! But OMG the veggies I found today (hense the title)! Beautiful and HUGE butternut squash and broccoli crowns and CHEAP! Look at these...



Aren't they ginormous!? LOL!! The squash was on sale for .29c a pound and the broccoli was .65c a pound! I was in heaven as these are 2 main ingredients in my gang's 2 favorite soups (I can't ever make enough of each of them!): Broccoli Cheese soup and Creamy Butternut Squash soup- which I am gonna share with you. My 18yo son does not care for butternut squash on its own, but he will eat the soup like crazy! So even if you're not fond of it, give it a chance. You might be surprised!

Well The gang is fed and getting showers and clothes for tomorrow, etc. Thinking its "Dad's on call" night. Gotta recover for tomorrow's day of cooking, wrapping presents, sewing, oh and did I say cooking? YAY! My favorite sport! Some girls like shoe shopping, I like cooking. LOL could explain why my husband has gained so much weight since we got married LOL!

OK, I think I'm gonna take my meds and lay down as I am hurting pretty bad. The weather is making this a not-so-easy day for me... so until tomorrow (and yes I promise it will be an early posting lol), sit back and enjoy some tummy warming yummy creamy butternut squash soup! HUGS!



Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
6 tablespoons chopped onion (optional**)
4 tablespoons margarine**
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (this is about a 2 lb. squash)
3 cups water*
4 cubes chicken bouillon*
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese

* You can substitute 4 cups of chicken broth for the water and bouillon cubes)*

** If you do not like onions, you can omit them and butter and that step in the instructions**

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Slice squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Brush squash with olive oil and dust lightly with a small amount of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place sliced side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for about 10 minutes until able to handle carefully. (Squash should still be somewhat firm.) Remove skin from squash. (You can also peel squash skins and cut into chunks before roasting.)

3. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is very tender.

4. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment